Thessalia Hotels, Thessalia North Greece Hotel Directory
GreekHotels > North Greece
Information About Thessalia History
The region of Thessaly was inhabited since the begging of the Paleolithic era. Neolithic settlements have been excavated in Sesklo and Dimini. Later (during the Bronze age) it became the cradle of the first Greek race especially during the Mycenaean times.
Herodotus and Thucydides both mention the invasion of the Thessalian race from Epirus and their habitation between Othrys, Iti and Maliakos Bay. Thessaly has been ruled over time by powerful houses such as the Alafades, the Skopades and the so called Tagoi.It was later that the "public of Thettalon" was established. According to the oracle of Delphi "from the entire world the best land is Thessaly".
They took part in Alexanders expedition against the Persians with the well known Thessalian cavalry. In 197 B.C. they were conquered by the Romans. During the Byzantine times, Thessaly, belonged to Greece with Larissa as the capital city and since 1246 along with the Empire of Nikaia the Dominion of Thessaly was also established.
It was under Turkish jurisdiction from 1423. a large part of the population was forced to seek refuge in the mountainous areas of Pelio, Agrafa etc. In 1600 a revolution against the Turks was attempted but with no success. The Thessalian took part in the 1821 revolution but was not included in the Greek borders.
It finally joined in 1881, except for the area of Elassona. In 1910 we note a great agricultural revolution (Kileler). Their contribution during the german-italian occupation was very important.
Exact, partial, brief, paraphrased or adapted reproduction or republication of the contents and design of this website by any means
mechanical, electronic, photocopied or otherwise without previous authorisation from the legal owner is strictly forbidden.
Copyright © 1994 - 2017 www.greekhotels.gr (KAVI CLUB S.A. - Travel Services in Greece)
Find your hotel.
Type the name, select from the list and click go.
Hotels or Apartments in North Greece.