Fthiotida Hotels, Fthiotida Central Greece Hotel Directory
GreekHotels > Central Greece
Information About Fthiotida Archaeological Sites
Fortress grounds with ground plan of rectangle of triangle, the superior department of which winds up in toothed bastions with peridromo. Departments are saved of his precocious building phases from the 5th century p.H., at the isodomiko and polygonal system of walls, his bigger however department is the result of successive interventions and repairs at the Byzantine and Medieval period. In the top of citadel is maintained renovated the building of Othonic Barracks where are accomodated today the offices of iD Eforeias Prehistoric and Classic Antiquities and the Archaeological Museum. Surface researches and test sections became at year 1974 and they certified the human where living in the Castle from the Precocious Season of Coper until the 5th century p.H., while urgent excavations were carried out between years 1985 - 1989, in the frame of work of reformation - configuration of space. These attributed building relic of Ottoman domination and newer period. Teihi has been restored by the responsible Eforeia Byzantine and Post byzantine Antiquities in the decade 1950. the work was repeated in 1972 and in 1994.
The excavations that have taken place within the city of Lamia have brought to light sections of the wall that surrounded the ancient city as well as parts of the buildings and houses. According to the findings the city dates back to the first half of the 4th century BC and its walls started from the hill of Akrolamia (known today as the Castle hill of Lamia) and ended on the opposite hill of Agios Lukas. Pieces of the ancient city have been found all over Lamia. Many of these have been built over (National Bank of Greece, etc) but the findings have been kept intact and visible in the underground levels of the new buildings.
The Akropolis of ancient Elateia and the Mycenaean cemetery on the western foothills date back to the 14th century BC in early Geometric Period. The cemetery is of great interest as it portrays the immense growth and expansion of the Mycenaean civilization and also how these peripheral cities survived after the decline of the major Mycenaean centers. Many of the tombs that were uncovered were reburied by order of the Ministry of Culture. Ten of the most well preserved tombs though have been sheltered and are open to the public.
Two earthen tumuli of the Middle Helladic (2000 - 1600 B.C.) - Late Helladic (1600 - 1100 B.C.) period encircle pits and cist graves covered by slabs. The group is unique in Fthiotida as it indicates how tomb burials were introduced to Thessaly from Southern Greece in the Late Helladic Period. The excavation began in 1986. The classical cemetery comprising of 80 tombs was discovered first only to be reburied in 1990. Next to it two Mycenaean tumuli are visible today.
On the hill north of the village of Echinos lies the 4th century acropolis. The rectangular walls were built by Epaminondas to control the sea passage. The walls were expanded and reconstructed a number of times mainly due to damages from the earthquakes in the 5th and 3rd century BC as well as the 3rd and 6th century AD. Additions to it are dated in the reign of Justinian. tower to the east is well preserved whereas traces of another one as well as the entrance are visible to the north.
Exact, partial, brief, paraphrased or adapted reproduction or republication of the contents and design of this website by any means
mechanical, electronic, photocopied or otherwise without previous authorisation from the legal owner is strictly forbidden.
Copyright © 1994 - 2017 www.greekhotels.gr (KAVI CLUB S.A. - Travel Services in Greece)
Find your hotel.
Type the name, select from the list and click go.
Hotels and Apartments in Central Greece.